RENTAL RESOURCES AND FAQs
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW TO RENT VEHICLES WITH STEVE’S ATV
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: WHAT ATV/UTV DO YOU RECOMMEND?
A: We can make a general suggestion, but it really comes down to rider fit and rider ability. We will evaluate all riders during the instruction time and if we don’t feel you fit that vehicle right, we will suggest another bike. We want you to be safe and have a good time. Our Average adult rider will operate the Honda 250ex or Kymco Automatic 300/330. The average younger riders vary depending on ability and riders size.
Q: Do we pickup the ATV’s at the store or on the beach?
A: All ATV’s are staged on the beach by pole 2. Pole 2 is located a mile down the beach.
Q: Can we use a car seat in a RZR?
A: Sorry, we do not allow car seats to be used in the RZR. For younger passengers, we require them to be able to support a helmet with or without the neck brace. The must be able to sit with their back firmly against the backrest and reach out and grab the hand hold in front of them. When seated, the seatbelt must fit across their chest properly. The last thing we want todo is have a child hurt.
Q: What rentals can accommodate 2 people?
A: The only vehicles that can accommodate 2 people safely are the line of RZR UTV’s and the Can-Am Outlander 400. Any Outlander passenger must be able to sit on seat and have feet reach the foot rest (Approximately 50”). Rzr passengers must
Q: Do you provide a shuttle?
A: Yes, you must check in at the 332 Pier Ave store, complete the rental paperwork and will send you to the shuttle pickup spot when you done.
Q: Will the shuttle pick us up at the hotel?
A: Sorry, our shuttle is only setup to pick up people on the beach and our Store location.
Q: Can we stop and eat during our riding time?
A: Yes, you can, but your rental time does not stop so it cuts into your riding time.
Q: Can you BBQ on the beach?
A: Yes, you are more than welcome to BBQ on the beach.
Q: Does it get windy?
A: Yes, later in the afternoon, the wind tends to pick up.
Q: When do you think the best time to ride is?
A: We recommend coming in the morning as it is not as busy and less chance for wind.
Q: Can you drive the ATVs/RZRs in the water?
A: NO!!! Salt water corrodes the metal. If we see you driving in the water, you will be charged $50
Q: My friend has never had a driver’s license, can they still ride?
A: Yes! They need to bring current valid photo id. Riders with suspended, revoked or expired licenses are not allowed to ride in the state park.
Q: What do I wear?
A: Wear Long pants, closed toe shoes, and long sleeve shirt or sweatshirts. It can get cold quickly sometimes. It can be sunny and nice and then the fog rolls in suddenly and gets cold quick. Every person is required to wear a helmet, so If you have your own, please bring it. We have helmets to lend you and they are included with your rental. If you have goggles or riding gloves, feel free to bring them. If you don’t have your own, we do them.
Q: What type of shoes do I need to wear?
A: We require all renters to wear closed toe shoes!
Q: Is there a place to store my belongings?
A: There are no compartments on the vehicles to store items. Please consider bringing a backpack or leave valuable items in your vehicle before you head down!! We do have a check-in offer thru Yelp for a FREE drawstring backpack.
Q: How long do people normally ride for?
A: Normally, renters go out for 2 hours. That’s enough time to see a good portion of the dunes!! If your really into it and like it, you are more than welcome to go for more. The max time is 8 hours.
Q: Why do we need to arrive 1 hour early (1-1/2 on weekends and holidays during the summer)?
A: We need you to arrive early as there is paperwork that needs to be completed. We also have a 10min safety video that we need you to watch. After those 2 things are completed, we fit you for a helmet and give you instructions on how to operate your rental vehicle before sending you off on your own. If you check in at the Pier Ave office, then you will probably take our shuttle to get to beach sendoff location. All those little things add up!!
Q: What are some good places nearby to eat?
A: Beach Burger – Right across the street from our Pier Ave Store is great. In Oceano, you have Sylvester Burgers, Efrens & Chachos for Mexican food. In downtown Pismo Beach, you have Cool Cat Café, Hoagies, Splash café. If you drive up Grand Ave in Grover Beach, there is fast food places on both sides of the street. Farther up Grand is Arroyo Grande for Figeroa Mtn Brewery and then in the village of Arroyo Grande and you have McLintocks, Old Village Grill, Rooster Creek, Mason bar and more. Lots of good food around here all within 4-5 miles
Q: What hotels are in the area?
A: On our website, we have a list of hotels we partner with. It has links to their websites and their phone number. With those hotels, we offer the Stay and Play discount 5% off discount package. Ask the hotel front desk for a discount card.
Rider Fit Guide:
- Suzuki 80/90: Minimum 48-52 inches tall – 65lbs maximum weight, 8-12 years old,
- Yamaha 125: Minimum 52-60 inches tall – 130lbs maximum weight, 9-12 years old,
- Kymco 300: Minimum 60 inches tall – 12 years old and up
- Honda 250: Minimum 60 inches tall – 14 years old and up
- Honda 400: Ages 18 & up. Must have experience with clutch shifting
- Outlander 400 (2 Seater): Ages 18 & up to drive. Passenger minimum height is 60inches. Must be able to reach foot pegs.
- Polaris RZR ACE: 18 & up with valid driver’s license.
- Polaris RZR-S: 25 & up to drive, passenger minimum of 60” inches tall for front seat, 46 inches’ tall back seat.
CALIFORNIA & OREGON STATE PARKS REQUIREMENTS FOR UNDER AGE RIDERS?
State Parks are now mandating that our rental customers must show proof of a ATV Safety Certificate before we can allow you to rent ATVs for your kids who are under 18 years old. This law is CVC 38503 and the complete text is available at the State Parks Website (Click here for the page)
1) If you show up and you want to ride with your kids you can hire our chaperon (tag along) with a safety card so you can comply with CVC 38503. You must agree to stay with your chaperon at all times to stay in compliance with CVC 38503 and CVC 38504
2) If you have an hour and a half that you can spend at your computer you can go to http://www.rideatvoregon.org/ and get a online ATV Training Certificate for you and four of your kids. This will give you a license to ride in Oregon and also in California. Be sure to print out the temporary ATV Safety Certificate so you can present it when renting for your kids.
3) You can contact ASI directly (http://www.atvsafety.org) to see if they are offering an ASI Training Course at the Oceano Dunes on the weekend you are visiting.
- At all times when an adult is directly supervising kids under the age of 14. The adult must possess an ATV Safety Card. CVC 38503
- 2) At all times when an adult is supervising kids between the age of 14 and 18 if the kids do not possess a safety card of their own. CVC 38504. The supervising adult must possess an ATV Safety Card.
- 3) Anytime a rider age 14-17 wishes to ride without adult supervision. The under age rider posses an ATV safety card. CVC 38504a
OCEANO RENTAL ORIENTATION VIDEO